My business partner David was adamant: “We need a new flavor.” I knew he was right - but what should it be? And...how would we pull it off?
It was the Spring of 2019. Getting our first flavor (Roasted Nuts, Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt) over the finish line had been a gargantuan task, but now we were finally out in the market and things were off to an amazing start. We had successfully transitioned from a THC-infused bar made in a small cannabis kitchen to a CBD-infused bar produced at an SQF* Food Safety Code facility subject to regular FDA audits in full compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act. The CBD bars tasted incredible, and sales and reviews were great. But how to replicate that success with a new flavor? And what should that new flavor be?
My background is in the entertainment industry, so to me, creating a new protein bar is kind of like creating a new TV show. The development phase is pure creative -- you decide on your flavor profile, nutritional targets, and ingredients, then work up a few drafts in an R & D kitchen until you get it right. Production - whether TV shows or protein bars - is primarily problem-solving and logistics.
For VELOBAR, our challenge is always how to hit our nutritional targets in a healthy and great-tasting way, without compromising on any of our core brand equities:
- Plant-based protein, but NO soy or pea protein. Soy and pea protein are great ways to bump up your protein numbers for label appeal, but they make the product taste bland and chalky, and a lot of people are allergic to soy. So we make Velobars with high-protein superfoods that taste great and are also rich in Omega 3 “healthy fats” -- nuts, seeds, and legumes. As ingredients, these healthy superfoods are way more expensive than soy or pea protein - but I won’t compromise on this.
- Keep sugar content low. Use fruit-based sweeteners that are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and avoid refined sugar (sucrose) whenever possible.
- Always be: organic, vegan, non-GMO, soy-free and gluten-free
- Use only premium American-grown hemp extract CBD, with no THC
- Best-tasting high-protein snack bar on the market, with or without CBD
Several months and a packaging redesign later, our very first Peanut Butter bars rolled off the production line - and man were they good! I was pretty excited when I first tasted them, as you can see here.
With 25mg of pure CBD and a taste that is absolutely out of this world, we’re sure you’re going to love this new flavor. Try it as a very mellow breakfast bar to start your day with a smile, as a work-from home healthy snack when you want to tune out the stress and stay focused, or after a run or workout for recovery.
And as always - if you have any questions or comments, or just want to tell us about your Velobar experience, please send us your comments, or hit us up on Instagram or Twitter.
* SQF = Safe Food Quality